If you are a porridge lover, or if you simply want to switch up your breakfast options, then you MUST try this recipe! I was a huge fan of typical oat porridge before I went raw, and when I discovered this amazing combination of fruit I realized that it tasted just as good, if not better, than porridge itself. In fact, even KIDS will love this recipe more than oat-based porridges (mainly because it is sweeter and contains a larger flavour dynamic).
Mulberries are one of my favourite fruits out there, aside from figs and mango. Dried mulberries taste like a combination of nuts, vanilla, marshmallow and figs. They are truly one of the most interesting and addictive dried fruits out there! They are also loaded with tonnes of iron, potassium, magnesium and B-vitamins along with plenty of antioxidants.
Suffice to say, this raw porridge recipe is incredibly simple to make, and gives you no excuse to not eat breakfast! It will super-charge your morning better than any porridge you have ever consumed, and will leave you with extended energy, devoid of any crashes later in the day. Enjoy!
- 2 ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup dried mulberries (soaked overnight - or you may use dried for a more crunchy effect)
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla bean powder
- 4 medjool dates, pitted and chopped finely
- 2 apples, chopped finely (I leave the skins on, because I eat organic apples)
- Optional: 1 tbsp. coconut flakes
1. Drain soak water from mulberries, if you chose to soak them.
2. You may use a blender or food processor to blend, just until chunky: bananas, mulberries, cinnamon and vanilla. Put in a bowl.
3. To the banana/mulberry mixture add the finely chopped dates and apple, and coconut flakes if you chose to use them. Mix well!
4. Put into a serving bowl, and add some chopped apple on top, and a sprinkle of cinnamon if you love food presentation and get excited by what your food looks like (aka. me - haha).