The liver is one of the body's main detox organs. Given the toxic world we live in today (environmental, pesticides, household chemicals, etc.), making sure our liver is clean is incredibly important. If we do not support our body's natural detoxification system, it can become quickly overburdened and lead to chronic disease.
"One of the liver's primary functions is filtering the blood. Almost 2 quarts of blood pass through the liver every minute for detoxification. Filtration of toxins is absolutely critical as the blood from the intestines contains high levels of bacteria, bacterial endotoxins, antigen-antibody complexes, and various other toxic substances. When working properly, the liver clears 99% of the bacteria and other toxins during the first pass. However, when the liver is damaged, such as in alcoholics, the passage of toxins increases by over a factor of 10." (source)
Help boost the detoxification process by starting with THIS smoothie! It contains essential ingredients that help support the liver and it's detox function.
Ingredients: (serves 1)
- 2 grapefruit, juiced (blocks harmful effects of free radicals)
- 1 orange, juiced (helps to flush the liver of toxins)
- 1 cup cranberries (high in glutathione, which is required by the liver during both detoxification stages)
- 1 cup pineapple (anti-inflammatory)
- 1 bunch watercress (enhances phase 2 liver detoxification pathways)
- 1 cup leafy greens of your choice (I used arugula, because it is a bitter green and helps to stimulate bile flow)
Blend the above ingredients in a blender such as the Vitamix, and serve immediately.