This dairy-free cream of mushroom soup is raw, vegan, and gluten-free too! It also tastes exactly like the real thing, if not better (the flavour is incredible!). Mushrooms contain vitamin D, so this soup is great, especially in the winter when most of us stay huddled away from the sun for a good 7 months or so (especially if you live in Manitoba like me).
You might not think that a soup can be raw - but oh yes it can! You can stick your soup into a dehydrator before eating it and warm it up, or you can blend it for awhile in a blender such as the Vitamix which will help heat it up and turn it into a cozy comfort food creation just waiting to be jumped into.
Shittake mushrooms are quite the incredible food too - the benefits of these mushrooms are endless, and I will list them all below:
1. Shiitake mushrooms contain a compound called lentinan, which is believed to stop or slow tumour growth. They also contain an activated hexose-containing compound which reduces tumour activity and reduces the side effects of cancer treatment.
2. These mushrooms contain a compound called eritadenine, which is thought to lower cholesterol by blocking the way cholesterol is absorbed into the bloodstream.
3. Prevents thrombosis (a health condition that produces blood clots in the veins, leading to restricted blood flow) by preventing platelets from aggregating.
4. Strengthens the immune system - again, lentinan comes to the rescue by enabling your immune system to fight diseases and infections more effectively. These mushrooms are even more effective than some prescription drugs!
5. Incredibly rich in iron, helping to prevent anemia and other blood-related disorders.
6. Aids in weight loss due to high fibre content - keeping you fuller longer, and helping you to not over eat.
- 2 cups cremini mushrooms
- 1 cup shittake mushrooms
- 2 green onions (scallions)
- 1 small zucchini, peeled (so it doesn't turn the soup green - if you don't care about aesthetic appearance then go ahead and leave the peel on!)
- 1-2 stalks celery
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp. fresh thyme
- 1/2 - 1 cup water (depending on how thick you want it)
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 tbsp. hemp seeds
- *Optional: little bit of dulse (a type of seaweed)
1. Add everything to a high speed blender such as the Vitamix, except for the avocado and hemp seeds. Add 1/2 cup water first, and then wait until the avocado and hemp seeds have been added until you add more water.
2. Blend everything together (except for avocado and hemp seeds), and once this has been blended, then you add the avocado and hemp seeds (I don't know why the soup works out better this way - it just does!). Blend at high speed until the soup becomes slightly warmed.
3. Pour your soup into a bowl, add a little bit of scallions on top and some hemp seeds and cracked black pepper if you please! Bon Appetit!