Want to boost your immune system for the up-coming flu season? Show the flu who's boss and strengthen your immunity with this antioxidant loaded raspberry orange smoothie! Raspberries are packed with 10 times the antioxidants found in tomatoes and broccoli - in fact, these little berries contain some antioxidants that are found almost nowhere else.
Both raspberries and orange contain vitamin C (which is crucial for developing a strong and healthy immune system) - however, raspberries contain an antioxidant called ellagitanins, which is found nowhere else except in small amounts in strawberries (as well as in some Chinese herbs). These antioxidants not only strengthen our immune system, but they scavenge cancer-causing chemicals, rendering them inactive and thus unable to mutate our DNA.
Many studies have shown the positive effects of ellagitanins (Ellagic acid) in raspberries such as:
- Making cervical cancer cells undergo apoptosis (cell death)
- Inhibiting mitosis in cancer cells (cancer cell division) by arresting the G1 cycle
- Preventing the P53 gene destruction by cancer cells
- Similar results above for cancers of the breast, pancreas, esophagus, skin, colon and prostate. Positive responses also observed in periodontal disease, radiation induced chromosomal damage, slowing the degenerative process of aging and healing neurodegenerative diseases
If you want an amazing blender, I highly suggest you purchase a vitamix! It makes the smoothest, most creamiest smoothies, raw soups and sauces I have ever experienced! If you purchase a vitamix through Live Love Fruit, you will get FREE shipping and handling! Click HERE to purchase.
- 1-2 cups organic raspberries
- 6 oranges, juiced
- 1 cup coconut water
- 1 tsp. raw ginger, squeezed in garlic press or shredded (cut up finely)
Put in a high-speed blender such as the vitamix and pulse-blend for 30 seconds until smooth & creamy. Enjoy!